Wednesday, May 4, 2016

30 Day Blog Challenge. Day 3: Shuffle my music and list the first 10 songs and discuss

Tim McGraw – “Don’t Take The Girl”. This song brings back memories. It came out in 1994. I remember this because his first hit was “Indian Outlaw” and this was during the time when me and my friends and co-workers were doing nickel long necks at Denim and Diamonds ever Friday night. Those were fun times. I was the youngest in the group and it was all about fun, drinking and dancing. There was never drama. Well unless fighting over going to Denny’s or IHOP as drama.

2 Live Crew – “Pop That P$##y”. Well what can I say, I have their catalog on my phone. I am old school. When rap was about drinking, strip clubs and partying. I went to the last 2 Live Crew concert that happened in Dallas. It was at the Longhorn Ballroom and it got shut down by the Dallas Police because the arrested the band for being dirty. We rioted. There was a stop sign that was thrown thru a Channel 5 van's front windshield. I am not saying I had any part in that but….

Keith Green – “Dear John Letter (To The Devil). And the flip side to the Crew. Keith Green is one of my most favorite singers. He wrote some of the greatest gospel songs that are in many a church song book. He was an amazing performer. Just him and his piano. What I loved about him and that he had a message and wanted to get it out if it meant giving away his records. If people could not afford his records, he would have them write him or call his ministry and he would send them his records for free. Keith was able to buy some land down in Lindale, Texas so he could move his ministry there. As he and some ministry members and some kids (2 of his own) were in a small plane taking a tour of the property, the plane crashed killing all on board.

Burl Ives – “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”. My music is vast and a mix of everything. I love Christmas music. I listen to it year round. I love the classic versions though. There are some newer ones but I prefer the oldies.

Otis Redding – “Sitting on the Dock of the Bay”. Once again, I love the classic singers. That was a different world when it comes to music. It was about the craft. It was about pure tones and music. It was not all this vocal Olympic crap that goes on nowadays. Take time and listen to the old classic singers like Otis, Frank, Nat and Sammy.

Jonny Diaz – “More Beautiful You”. Seriously one of the most important songs every made that everyone should play to their daughters, sisters. This song is about how you need to look past what society thinks is beautiful and realizing that there is more to beauty that that. “Well little girl fourteen, I wish that you could see, that beauty is within your heart. And you were made with such care, your skin, your body and your hair are perfect just the way they are. There could never be a more beautiful you. Don’t buy the lies, disguises and hoops, they make you jump through. You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do, so there could never be a more beautiful you”

Milli Vanilli – “Girl You Know it’s True”. Funny how this comes right after the last song because the record studio did not think that the music would sell based on how the real singers looked. So they got 2 good looking guys to lip sync to the track. The music itself was amazing for the time. They won a Grammy. Amazing how this topic of what society tells us is beautiful has, once again, failed.

Stevie Ray Vaughan – “Voodoo Child”. This is one of the most iconic and amazing SRV songs. The intro along is brilliant. So sad that the music world lost him in a helicopter crash. He is a legend. He grew up in Oak Cliff. Although Austin has a statue and tries to claim him, he is a Dallas boy. He is buried at Restland in south Dallas. I have been there several times. People always leave guitar picks on his grave marker. Weird fact, there use to be a huge marker with a guitar over his plot but it was stolen several times, so there is a simple marker now.

Florida Georgia Line – “Stay”. I really like this song. I am not the one to listen to much of the current country music that is out there but I do like these guys. Everytime I hear this song I remember one day at Travelers where I heard a co-worker singing it so I sent an instant message “I’d sell my soul just to see your face” and she shouted back “And I’d break my bones just to heal your pain!!”. It was so funny.

Pitbull – “I Know You Want Me”. You cannot have a music library that doesn’t have at least 24234234 Pitbull songs. The dude is everywhere. Plus the song goes out to all the ladies out there because I know guys want to be me and ladies want to get with me… boom!

1 comment: