Sunday, May 15, 2016

30 Day Blog Challenge. Day 14: The Best Gift


I always get asked what I want for my Birthday and for Christmas… I always say I want your words. Words? WTH!?

What is it that we carry with us forever? Words. You can give me anything. Jewelry. A new car. Money. Food. But what lasts? Words.

Think about it. Words shape every significant moment in our lives. They form poetry. They form songs. They bring us joy. They bring us pain.

It’s a boy.

It’s a girl.

I love you.

I hate you.

I’m sorry.

You’re fat.

You’re too skinny.

You have Cancer.

You are going to die.

Marry me.

Yes.

No.

I Do.

“Just a small town girl…”

It can go on and on. I had a conversation with a great friend today and she told me how hard it is to hear certain things and how mean people can be. Why is it that we can take our strongest possession and use it for harm? It is far easier to use words to attack than to inspire. Easier to hit than to take a hit.

My response was to say that I love you. That one word carries more weight than all the bad words put together. My words are stronger. My words conquer. The problem is that we can forget the good ones when all we hear are the bad ones. We need to remember that one small good can defeat the biggest evil.

There is no possession you can give me for my birthday or for Christmas…. If I want it, I get it. I am lucky. I have what I need. I have what I want. I say it every year and I never get it. If you want to make my day, make my birthday, make my Christmas then give me your words. Give me a card, a letter, a sticky note. I still have letters from friends and cards…. 10, 15, 20 years old. They mean something to me. Give me something that I will remember for the rest of my life. Something that I cannot lose or pawn. Something that will let me know what you think and how you feel. I am serious. If you want to give me something, give me your words.

Look back and think of those significant moments in your life. What do you remember? Words. I lost a friend a few years ago. Looking back on my old blogs I found her comments. All I have left are her words. But those will never be lost. I will keep them forever in my heart. Those are the greatest gifts I have received. My heart is not full yet. Not even close.

Remember your words mean something to anyone that hears them. I am listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment